Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bent axle on trailer

We spent the night in Dease Lake, British Columbia, and I noticed one tire was worn on the inside edge. I had a mechanic look at it the next morning and he said the leaf springs and bearings looked good, so he suspected a bent axle. That day we went about 250 miles to Whitehorse, Yukon. Because it's the capital city of the Yukon, it's a huge town. Population of 25,000. We talked to a axle shop yesterday afternoon, and he also suspected the axle. We spent the night in his lot FOR FREE, and then paid him $750 for a new axle and to replace one brake that wasn't working properly. That may seem like a lot of money to some of you, but remember, after the exchange rate I think I'm only out about $735. The girl at the axle shop said she's only worked there 3 weeks, and just about every day they've had an RVer stop in for axle or leaf spring repairs. I also have to find a new tire. My best bet is in Anchorage. The tire store in Whitehorse couldn't get the tire I needed for about 7 days.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I've been trying to send a message to both of you for several days and couldn't get it to go. Kelly has been here working on the computer that length of time and I think he's got it going now. As for the damage to your rig, I realize now that our Bounder was a very light rig, whereas your 5th is heavey. I think that had lots to do with you having damage and Dad and I didn't. Good luck in the future.

    Lots of love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So sorry to hear about your axle. Some days are better than others on the full-time RV trail! Hang in there. We're in Sycamore, IL, next to Great Western Bike trail and it's raining too much to ride. On to Lansing, IA, this weekend for Bob's family reunion.

    ReplyDelete