Thursday, August 20, 2009

I put my tire pressure monitor system to the test











Well we had a boring day in Salem/Madison SD picking up mail, washing the RV, etc. Then today we left for Minn and had an exciting day. We planned on working our way to the upper peninsula of Michigan in the next 3 or 4 days where Nan’s grandparents had a house and 3 cottages. After we entered Minnesota we heard a loud pop. A couple seconds later the alarm in my tire pressure monitor started going off. One of our Chinese tires blew, and I saw a part of our trailer flapping in the breeze. I pulled over to inspect the damage. A couple minutes later 2 nice highway workers pulled up to hand me my plastic fender and hot water tank screen. I declined their offer to help since I had some experience changing these tires before. I put the spare on and we headed for Fairmont, MN. Originally I thought Fairmont would be too close to spend the night, but it turns out it was a good place to stop. I called a local tire place and they had some Goodyears in stock, so I replaced the Chinese blown out tire with a Goodyear. I’m going to take the trailer there tomorrow and have 3 more Goodyears put on, and keep one Chinese as a spare. I had hoped to make it a lot further today, but it turns out that cheap tire really put a chink in our plans. In case you can't make it out, the first picture is our fender sitting by our kitchen table.

3 comments:

  1. Been following your blog, have you made it to Curtis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're skipping Curtis and Going to Elkhart IN for repairs instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you headed from Elkhart? Sounds like you have had quite an adventure so far.

    ReplyDelete