Sunday, December 6, 2009

Charleston, SC




Friday morning we left Mt. Airy and headed for Statesville, NC. They have a Camping World RV facility there and we needed a new antenna. A while back we had a TV antenna incident. Although we have satellite TV, it doesn’t get the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC). To get those channels we have to crank up a manual antenna and get the signals the old fashion way. This allows us to watch the shows that make us a caring, civilized society, like Dancing With The Stars. Donny Osmond ROCKS!!! The weakness in this system is if you forget to crank the antenna down when you leave, it gets whacked off by the tree limbs or bridges. This unfortunately happened to us. I blame Nan. I repaired the antenna, but we got a bad storm in Mt. Airy and the roof was leaking a little. I decided to get a saucer shaped antenna that doesn’t crank up so we won’t have to remember to crank it down anymore. The antenna was on sale for around $130. We only had to pay $110 to install, $50 to remove the old antenna, and a few other charges for parts and labor to patch the roof, so we got out of there for just under $400. They didn’t seem to care that we are on a fixed income. The good news is that we spent the night there for FREE in there storage area. They even had electric hookup for overnighters.
Saturday we arrived in Charleston, SC. They had a lot of rain here, and unfortunately the campsites are grass/mud rather than gravel sites. I’m able to lock the gears in my truck to turn it into a 4 wheel drive to reduce the chances of getting stuck, and everything turned out OK. For those out there that are shopping for a truck, just remember, if you’re in the mud with a 2-wheel drive truck, you will bury your rear wheels up to the axles in mud. But if you spend to money to get a 4-wheel drive, that allows you to bury all 4 wheels up to the axles in mud.
That night we went to a seafood restaurant for dinner. They had a steamed oyster special that night. I’ve eaten oyster fried and raw in individual shells, but never steamed. It came in several clumps of shells, and combined it was the size of a basketball. I’d pry open a large shell with a special dull knife they gave me, and there would be a small oyster in there. I don’t mind working for my food, but it turns out I’m not a big fan of steamed oysters. It was one of those things that I’m glad I tried, but I won’t be doing it again. We are in Charleston 4 nights, so we should get a chance to see the sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment