Saturday, May 21, 2011

Black Tank Valve Replacement

I have a job in Wisconsin so Nan and I are heading north. We were camped in Indiana a couple of nights ago and we noticed something was dripping under our trailer. I was hoping it was our drinking hose connection since that would be the easiest and cleanest thing to fix. No such luck. It turned out to be the black tank dump valve. For those not familiar with RV lingo, the black tank holds your pee and poop. When the black tank gets full you pull a lever to the dump valve, and the contents empty from the tank, through a sewer hose, and into the sewer connection at the campground. The next morning we were continuing north, so we stopped at a Camping World and picked up a new valve. We planned on staying at a real campground last night, but because it was Friday they were full. So we stayed at a Shell Gas Station that had 6 RV sites right by the Burger King drive-through. Luckily it was all cement which made it easier to work on the RV. I had to drop the belly pan which is a piece of material (now soaked with pee and poop) that protects wiring and hoses under the RV from debris in the road. Then I had to remove the old valve and put the new one in. This sounds easy, but it took about 3 hours since nothing ever goes as smoothly as you hope. Keep in mind that about 2 hours were spent working with, lying in, and trying to avoid pee and poop. Nan came out to see how thing were going but almost threw up so she had to go back inside. While working I kept thinking about those hundreds of times I’ve used hand sanitizer in restaurants because I was afraid of germs, and now look at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment